Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Some Thoughts

Father Mulcahy eat your rosary out:

There's suppression and then there's repression. Let's see now. I'm trying to remember, which one is the bad one? Oh, yes. Repression. That's when you say "I don't have a penis." That doesn't work. Then there's suppression, which is when you say "Down, boy!"

--Brother Vergil as quoted by Norah Vincent in Self-Made Man


=======

My take on the whole Paris Hilton saga has been equal parts of "geez, and what's the actual news, like say from Iraq?!?" and "Poor little rich girl ain't had NO raisin'; what the fuck does anyone expect?!?" so it's no real surprise to me that her parents are only now making their presence known.

======

I think America is going to be very sorry for giving all its money to China in the form of cheap consumer goods.

======

I've been reading a lot of healthcare blogs lately and although many of them are good and some are intermittently funny I'm glad mine isn't one.

======

Can we just all agree that America broke Iraq and start from there? This quote from the blog "Baghdad Burning" (link on my sidebar) pretty much says it:

There are moments when the injustice of having to leave your country, simply because an imbecile got it into his head to invade it, is overwhelming. It is unfair that in order to survive and live normally, we have to leave our home and what remains of family and friends… And to what?

======

The older I get the more I realize how society as a whole is pretty much middle school only on a much larger scale....and I hated middle school.

======

I've recently learned that my workplace is having trouble getting our renovations started because all the raw materials are being diverted to the Mideast. So much for getting out of there.... these people and these people tend to agree.

======

Oh and also? I found a "draft" post from last week sometime I'd previously forgotten...it's now posted but you'll have to scroll down to find it.





7 Comments:

Blogger Old Knudsen said...

Iraq had an air tight dressing over a punctured lung, America ripped it off for the kicks. As for the UK don't ya hate it when yer loudmouthed mate starts a fight and you have to back them up?

June 13, 2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Oh wow, that's the best and most concise summary I've heard yet.

So good.

June 13, 2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger KnitterMan said...

WHAT?? Paris Hilton has PARENTS??? Holy geeez, and all this time I was thinking she got that name because she was found orphaned under a bed pillow at a French hotel!!!

June 14, 2007 5:38 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Yeah, you'd think that wouldn't you?? Don't know WHAT her parents have been thinking...clearly not much.

They have the money to have been able to hire one-to-one companions (ie babysitters) or other handlers long ago. And to fight her in court if she attempted to play the "I'm a legal adult so stop it!"

"Reprehensible" doesn't even touch it.

June 14, 2007 10:24 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Because we all know she wouldn't be like that NOW if they'd been doing their job through the years in the first place.

June 14, 2007 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Tom Brokaw made the exact same comment you did regarding the world and junior high at a recent commencement address.
2. I am sure Paris and her family staged her behavior for even more publicity and greater income in terms of books, appearance fees and so forth in the future.
3. 01-20-2009.

June 17, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Yeesh, you're even more cynical than I am. I can't imagine that any parents, no matter how lousy, would _encourage_ a child to act like that.

June 17, 2007 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home