Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Tolerance and Forgiveness...

...can be seriously lacking at times.



This morning as I was parking in the work lot I was surprised to see one of the clinic nurses whom I know by sight but not name walking over to my car. She seemed to wish to speak to me.



Once I opened my car door this woman started in with a loud and angry voice saying "Did you know you just splashed muddy water ALL OVER me?! How COULD you be so careless?!?" She was clearly Seriously Pissed Off; her cap of gray hair was quivering with rage.



Well no, of course I -hadn't- known and felt terrible since that's happened to me (and you too no doubt) dozens of times. On the other hand I was rather startled to be greeted with such invective in the employee parking lot.



I looked at the pants to which she was gesturing and saw only two small quarter-sized spots of liquid, neither of which were muddy. Did a mental "hmmm" but still felt bad. So I immediately and sincerely apologized with the hand-to-chest gesture and "No I didn't know. I'm so terribly sorry." I've been told multiple times that it's easy to read my face so I'm sure if she'd looked she would have seen the genuine contrition.



That wasn't good enough for her. She went on to declaim "you were just speeding through here not paying a BIT of attention and got water ALL OVER me because you were being careless!" I stood there, still with hand on chest but now clearly taken aback and added another "I'm sorry; I really didn't see you." That still wasn't good enough: her parting shot was "well pay more attention!"



Despite the big green "doctor" photo-ID-badge the rules make me wear whenever on campus, I don't think she had any clue who I am or she might not have decided to dump her entire morning's worth of life-rage on me.



The thing which annoys me the most was her refusal to accept a genuinely sincere apology.



However the thing which also annoys me is that I'm certain had I been a male with gray at the temples she wouldn't have said one word. I'm sure she saw "young woman" (young to her anyhow) and decided "therefore below me in the pecking order and someone whom I can safely shit all over." Yeah, well Ageism is still an "ism" and therefore wrong.



I do hope she realizes she has definitely not made a friend today. She certainly will the next time we end up in the same meeting together; I intend to ever-so-sweetly inquire if she's "recovered from your terrible parking-lot trauma."



Even though she wasn't wearing her nametag (but mostly-strap sandals--had I caught up with her on the walk up the hill I would've kindly apologized a second time while pointing out that open-toed shoes were against dress code) I will find out who she is.

The Fates are going to bite that hateful person on the ass, mark my words.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Lori said...

"...her cap of gray hair was quivering with rage."

HAHAHA!!!

You should've used that line with her. Should've said, "Lady, do you realize that your cap of gray hair is quivering with rage?"

Followed with:

"Being that I am a DOCTOR, I'm concerned that your quivering cap may be a precursor to the top of your head blowing off -- please, stay calm while I fetch my bag..."

June 09, 2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Oooh your comeback is EXCELLENT; wish I'd thought of it at the time.

Unfortunately I'm like Akuta from "The Apple" episode of original Star Trek. I stand there with a dumbfounded look thinking "You're...ANGRY. With...ME?!?" and lose my window of opportunity.

June 10, 2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger ellie said...

Revenge is sweet and i can't wait for a post on your sugary moment!
It will come won't it ?

x

June 10, 2007 8:27 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

It might come; it might not come...the Universe can be a fickle place. Also I _still_ haven't figured out whointhehell she IS.

Don't worry; if I DO get my moment I'll be sure to share.

June 11, 2007 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home