Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Scarf Update

The Actual Knitting part of my new project is done.



Astute observers will notice a yarn needle attached to the right-side-up half; that's because the next step of the instructions is "graft together." Having not ever grafted anything before I'm pretty intimidated but I downloaded a video which I hope will solve my problems.



The step after the grafting is the blocking--my knitting basket contains two boxes of "350 dressmaker's straight pins" each waiting patiently. I can see already how much the lace will benefit from blocking but I'm still trying to find a place for said blocking. Here's a closer view.


I never thought I'd "get the hang of" lace but after a few pattern repeats I had it pretty much memorized. I still checked the diagram (how much I prefer charts to words!) but with only a few key facts (it starts with mostly "K8" ; there's always yarn-overs separating the action) the row before will pretty much indicate what the current row should be...which is infinitely helpful for troubleshooting.

This was a project started without a clear recipient in mind--those are quite rare for me. Usually I already know for whom I'm knitting even before the cast-on. Not this time: I just wanted to make that pattern out of Ray's yarn. Had no idea what I'd do with a pink lace scarf though. It turned out okay since the vision came sometime between the seventh and eighth repeats of the first side. Remember MIL's older sister Cida? She's turning eighty on her next birthday and a scarf squashes down nicely into tightly-packed luggage. (Just never you mind that her birthday isn't till New Years'.)

Meanwhile I've started playing around with those squirrel mittens again--this time with Kroy sock yarn in less violently contrasting colors ("flax" and the apparently discontinued "dark green.) Too soon to tell if they're a success yet though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Pretty!

Knitting is a mysterious wonder to me.

But then again, so is sewing on a button. ;-)

May 08, 2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Aw...thanks!

It isn't magic. Two pointy sticks and a touch of obsessive-compulsive disorder do just fine.

May 09, 2007 6:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very pretty, lovely yarn and pattern.

May 10, 2007 3:05 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Thanks! Wait till you see the next installment...

May 10, 2007 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home