Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Monday, April 23, 2007

A Great Quote

This is ME through and through:

I'm angry, really angry, so seldom that it always takes me by surprise. At first I think it's fever and chills, that I'm getting the flu or something; and when I realize what's happening I don't know how to express it with the proper force.

Page 163 of Real People by Alison Lurie. Random House, 1969.


Oh and ten pages later? This is me too:

I never know how to meet a direct attack; am slow even to recognize one, to take in the fact that something irrevocably hostile has been said. I sat there stupidly, feeling disoriented and weightless, but stiff at the same time, as if I had just been in an auto accident.

The rest of the novel is also good...if you've ever thought of being a writer you'll want to read it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Alison Lurie recommendation.

Wishing you and your garden a Happy Spring.

April 23, 2007 11:38 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

If I ever manage to find a gap in my knitting and reading, I'll definitely look it up. Wish you could have joined us this weekend. It was a blast.

April 24, 2007 12:23 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I too wish I could've had a weekend of knitting fun; would'a been a blast.

But my daffodils are blooming!!

April 24, 2007 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, perhaps I can claim responsibility for an Alison Lurie revival, or bring her to the bestseller lists. Tates and Foreign Affairs were made into movies, the latter being a cable TV feature. You make me want to reread all of the Lurie works again, but I am currently savoring Rita Dove's book of poetry, "Thomas and Beulah."

April 24, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I identify with those feeligns too. It reads to me like the person in the novel 'diassociates' when anger appears. A trick many abused children learn and carry into adulthood.

April 26, 2007 6:51 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

A Lurie revival would be lovely; I'll be mentioning how much I'm enjoying Only Children eventually.

Funny how some of us like to simply Not Have bad emotions, isn't it?

April 27, 2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger Old Knudsen said...

When faced with the situation of a verbal attack I have something I say to gain the upper hand. "arsehole"!

The people I know are not very refined.

April 28, 2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Heheheh.

Sugar IS "very refined" and it's pretty damned bland.

April 28, 2007 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home