Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Brief Catching-Up

So let's see, why did I abandon the six of you all week?

Oh yeah, workstuff about which I never blog.

I suppose I could blog a little bit: my boss retired this week so I became Interim Chief-of-Department while simultaneously interviewing for the permanent position and squeezing all my usual work around the edges of meetings.

Thursday was the biggest day: interviews back-to-back followed by a traditional retirement tea for my boss followed by a meeting I had to chair...I would've loved to go home and stay there but after dinner the Big Two and I took The Critters to the free rabies clinic. Partly because the clinic was 6 to 8 pm and it's a huge hassle to make and keep business-hours vet appointments (I don't do my own health maintenance worth a damn either) but largely because our vet's Big Issue is animal obesity and the beagle was fat enough to generate a lengthy and unpleasant lecture last year. Fine, cats in carrier and Loki on leash...it was outside at the county garage and our thinks-he's-a-terrier hound was intimidated by everyone, four-pawed or two, so he squatted and left a huge river in his wake. Which was okay since it was blacktop but then while I was filling out the forms he took a HUGE crap right in front of the registration table. After a whole day of lofty talk about running a multi-million dollar department, nothing keeps you mortal like a dog-dump in public. Fortunately they had plastic bags; unfortunately they had no trashcans so we ended up taking the poo away with us in the back of the van. I left a hefty donation and praised up the people doing the actual injections profusely before beating a hasty retreat with my horde.

Friday's highlights included Youngest Duckling's school presentation and making the acquaintance of my work-buddy's toddler son...also more interviews.

Came home to three extra kids--MIL took BIL for a weekend getaway so the Big Two are hosting back-to-back sleepovers. It's the boys Friday followed by the girls Saturday and yes I expect to be completely brain-dead by noon on Sunday.

Oh but "dead" reminds me: I really wish my camera hadn't died so I could show you how much nicer that perennial bed looks with the ring of rocks completed and the black plastic removed. Also that my daffodils have started to bloom...and that I found a statue of St. Joseph when I relocated the hen-and-chicks. At first I thought it was one of those Renaissance chess pieces. Wasn't quite sure what to do* with it so he's on my kitchen windowsill sandwiched between a Russian matryoshka doll and a made-in-China leprechaun holding pink roses.

In the book world I've been reading Alison Lurie's Only Children in dribs and drabs...this time she does CHILD point-of-view and does it quite well. Lolly reminds me of Youngest Duckling something fierce.


*Did you see that? Actual spells in post-millenial America? Fascinating.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Well, it's a good thing you have me around to try to keep you in line with the beagle, then. I shall commence the nagging immediately.

April 29, 2007 4:14 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

Fine...I'll let him poop on YOUR blacktop then! [grin]

April 29, 2007 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home