Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Change of Pace

Remember the horribly hormonal mitten disaster? The one in which I thought orange and blue would be cute together? Well I finally got back to that pattern.

Recalling that my ill-fated worsted adventure was far too large, that ribbing needs to be on smaller needles and that I myself knit incredibly loosely I started with the tiniest pair I had:



It almost NEVER happens but I actually produced something too small. Amazing.



So I tried again with much more success. Also more frustration: had to do the ribbing on double-points after years of being spoiled on the two-circular construction method. No it wasn't planned--I discovered all my short circular 0's had lost a tip (don't bother with bamboo that thin; it doesn't hold up)and that the longer "magic loop method" size was far too stiff.

You haven't lived the knitting life till you've done two-color ribbing on four (not even five) double-points. Yes I jest...and have a strong feeling I'll be placing a KnitPicks order soon. (Sure they're the Wal-Mart of the knitting world but I hear their needles are good.) I was so-o-o grateful to have intact #2's the right size.



The pattern is quite excellent; I've been impressed with its ease of use.



Oh and also? This was the year I finally remembered to stake up the peonies.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how differently timed our Springs are. My peonies in California are finished and yours are just starting.

I like the mittens... again.

About KnitPicks, I love their needles. I have the Options set and I also have their smaller circulars. I still like Addi's too, for when you don't need a sharp point. (I hear Addi is making a "lace" needle with sharper points.)

May 19, 2007 11:50 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Wait till you see the newer pix...of both mittens and peonies.

May 20, 2007 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home