Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Yes I'm Still Around...

...for the eight or so of you who care, that is. The "work" part of life is particularly sucking right now so I'm uncheery and have nothing left to give to the blog.

Still knitting and have almost finished MY Mittens.

Still trying to stay additive-free since I feel so much better that way but it's damned tough. Am convinced the "less than 2% of..." crap really does trigger eating binges though--remind me to talk about grocery-bakery cake someday.

Speaking of the food...(oh gawd Martha, she's hauling out that damned soapbox again...click!)... whatintheFUCK are "enzymes" ?!?! They're showing up in all the cultured dairy products (except for my beloved local Cora-brand ricotta cheese) now and not only is it a recent (less than 3 months) change but even though we're supposed to think the "enzymes" are the culturing bacteria, they aren't: anything imported lists "bacterial cultures" before and separately from the "enzymes."

We are going to be SOOOooo fucking sorry for letting Thorn Enterprises take over the worldwide food production.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure about the enzymes but reading a bit on cheese making might help. They might be okay.

I think what you are doing is great. And I think the only way to do it is to make more stuff from scratch which is a big lifestyle change, particularly for someone with a demanding job and a demanding household.

But I was going to suggest that it would be pretty easy to replace the Jiffy pop with popping your own. you can still get those hot air poppers and they are pretty cheap (and safe for the kids to use). My friend has one with a little spot on the top to put the butter to melt, too.

I've started baking bread. I do it by hand which is a great frustration release but you might get good value out of a bread maker. Put it all together in the evening and have fresh bread in the morning to make sandwiches to take to work.

Good luck.

June 29, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Even before we'd eaten down to the second half of the piepan I was already telling the Ducklings about how I made popcorn growing up, which was in a pot with a bit of grease on the stovetop. Trouble is that the whole point of the Jiffy is the tech--that expanding foil spiral is cool.

I've been contemplating a(nother--we killed one and never replaced it) bread machine. Mmm...but I think I'll make some bread this evening; it's a lovely cool night and the knitting SUCKS right now.
(story at some later date.)

June 30, 2007 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home