Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Some Knitting

Happy...




This is some of Ray's yarn in the colorway "Happy." I am happy to be using the front yard as a studio again.


Here's a close-up of the way the short rows work: after three more stitches the two yellow loops with the big gap between them will be knit together as one and the work will be turned. All the other stitches on the left-hand needle will just sit there.



...And Not So Happy:

This is an EZ "Baby Surprise Jacket" out of cotton...but not for very much longer. After getting the sleeves done (yes those are sleeves; it's knit in a strange way) I realized this is just NOT working out. The yarn and stitch are producing a fabric way too heavy to make a toddler happy, the damned thing is gonna stretch like hell, the color might fade and let's face it, the sleeves are too short.

It's getting ripped out while I watch the news this evening. Dunno what I AM gonna make with all that maroon cotton though...thoughts? This is the same yarn that refused to be a Tychus hat a while back for the same reason: too much heft and no give.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a new believer in ripping out. I had some yarn (bamboo) that wasn't working as a summer t-shirt. Now it is turning into a lovely knitty.com Convertible.

Your lovely purpley cotton will figure out what it wants to be. So far it sounds like it has communicated perfectly clearly... not a baby surprise, and not a Tychus hat. Sugar'n Cream IS heavy. I made a baby blanket out of it that probably suffocated the poor baby. Do you know anybody that wants kitchen wash clothes with lots of yarn overs?

March 30, 2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Heheh--"ripping IS finishing" were wise ListMum words indeed.

Oddly enough I thought I caught a whisper of "baby blanket--in sampler stitches" from the yarn...also "another casual top-down raglan for you." Both those may be purely delusional, however.

I've fixed up my peeps on the washcloth front so that option doesn't appeal...pity too since I've got a Joseph's-coat bagful of the same yarn.

I'm jealous of your bamboo--keep meaning to get myself some then never do!

March 31, 2007 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home