Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Miscellany Again

I might have a career mismatch:


The medical specialty for you is.... Cardiology

Cardiology is the best of all specialties. As a cardiologist, you'll be sure to profit from the sharp increase in obesity. You'll open at clinic across the street from a McDonalds and retire a billionaire.

To find out what specialty best fits your unique personality, go to:

What Medical Specialty Is For You?

I took the quiz again and got this:

The medical specialty for you is.... Ophthalmology

Ophthalmology is the best of all specialties. As an ophthalmologist, you will be unable to spell the name of the field you went into. You will loudly assert the difference between your field and optometry, but eventually, you will be making too much money to care.


Tried changing most everything and got this:

The medical specialty for you is.... OB/GYN

OB/GYN is the best of all specialties. As an OB/GYN, you have chosen one of the most noble fields in medicine. You will work longer hours than a surgeon, but without the high pay. But you will still do it because you have a passion for the field. And after you rush to the hospital at 3 in the morning for the third night in a row to deliver a baby, the parents will turn around and sue you if there were any unforeseeable complications, which is why your insurance rates are so ridiculously high. Come to think of it, OB/GYN?? What were you thinking?


And then this:


The medical specialty for you is.... Surgery

Surgery is the best of all specialties. As a surgeon, you will work hard and be paid well for your efforts. Now that all your cutthroat behavior is finally paying off, you will obtain extreme satisfaction from opening up peoples' bodies and thereby saving their lives. Every once in a while, you'll accidentally sew up the body with your wristwatch inside, but no one will be the wiser.


And then freakin' ophthalmology again. Clearly I am the strangest pathologist ever. It is a specialty option in that quiz; I just can't make it happen.

See I told you all I was an artist at heart just a few days ago.


Meanwhile, it's All About The Weather here--we're set to get our first really big snow (8-12" tonight; 13-20" by tomorrow afternoon) and the whole region is battening down its collective hatches. On a personal level I managed to get out of my two early-morning conferences tomorrow.


Don't get me started on Anna Nicole Smith, just don't. To me the media circus is just more of Anything But Iraq and it's wearing damned thin.


A dear friend of mine made me aware of a good author: Alison Lurie. Big body of work too, which is just like Christmas and a birthday all at the same time.


There was knitting of course---I discovered that I really like this scarf pattern not just because it turns an otherwise-boring rectangle into something yielding progress satisfaction but also because it really DOES bring out the best in varigated yarns. Unfortunately in that process I also discovered that the yarns I had chosen for the triangles sucked dirty cat ass. So I ripped it all out before any eviden---I mean "progress pictures" could be taken. I'll probably try again with the cool yarn my daughter gave me for helping her get her Epic Mount a while back--it's fuschia and black and will be the perfect thing for an aunt-to-be that I happen to know...provided I have enough. We shall see.



Gotta go do the pre-storm errands...practice tolerance, y'all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Old Knudsen said...

I got Orthopedic surgery is the best of all specialties. As an orthopedic surgeon or "bone doctor", there will exist no injury too minor for you to perform general surgery on it. But the real reward will come when you are able to see your patients walking again on their own two feet (i.e. after two years of physical therapy).

I could really get into medicine because as I get older the more I dislike people, just like Doctors however I do like to know what makes people tick and I don't mean strap on bombs in Iraq.

February 15, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

"strap on bombs in Iraq"

Too true...and _funny_!

You could go to med school y'know--they're into the older "experienced" student and your sense of humor would fit right in.

February 16, 2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger Old Knudsen said...

I'll no doubt end up in med school as a teaching aid to show how people don't take care of themselves but still live longer than they should. I donate my body to anyone that will take it, steady on weemen one at a time.

February 20, 2007 3:13 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

That's the spirit!

February 20, 2007 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home