Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kohala Bear Update

It isn't a typo but a pun: the yarn was spun in the North Kohala district of Hawaii.

Here is a picture of his body all limp and unstuffed:




And this is my attempt to show how I've run the bindoff yarn back through the stitches of the snout so that the edge can be gathered up. Yes I'm still having too many technical difficulties getting my camera to speak to my computer otherwise the picture would've been the right way round.




The gathered-up snout.





A finished ear.



I hope to have the other ear done and begin casting on for the back of the body (two narrower leg bits and an essentially identical torso/head/arms bit) tonight.



In Other News....I just found out that a charity pitch-in dinner party to which I'd promised upscale desserts this Saturday evening is unfortunately NOT cancelled or postponed. Pity.

Recipes at the moment include "Fragomammeli" from The Two Fat Ladies
(http://psjk.homestead.com/twofatladies.html) a good raspberry tart I made a couple of Christmases ago, and an "Elvis truffle" which is going to be the easiest fudge recipe ever (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17421,00.html) molded into ovals which are then getting dipped in dark chocolate and dressed up in white-chocolate "tuxedoes" as a white-trash mirror image of those I've seen done with strawberries recently (http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/foodday/fd0797/fd072597.html).

I expect a chocolate-spattered kitchen filled with the blue cloud of my cursing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan29 said...

Oooh...your Kohala bear is cool! I can't wait to learn how to knit something besides scarves. I'm over them.

July 18, 2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

If you can do an increase of any kind and a decrease of any kind you can make that bear. No purling required if you do the whole thing out of garter stitch.

July 19, 2006 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home