Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Great MIL Move

Is there anyone alive who DOESN'T hate moving?

Nope, didn't think so.

We just moved MIL out of a house in The Burbs which has been in the family since it was built in 1950. I'm sure you can imagine the overwhelming amount of Stuff.

Highlights:

Discovered that dumpsters in South Jersey are "rolloff containers" and expensive as hell. We filled the 11 cubic yards in nothing flat and had to call for a replacement...fortunately that price gives one within-hours service.

The humidity was forty zillion percent the entire time we were there. I got that strange combination of sunburn and pustular acne-like dots called "sun poisoning" for the first time ever. I was not at all amused.

If you're ever offered the option of a "Yankee Crawl Space" instead of a real basement fergawdsake Just Say No. I was cursing the owner of THAT cost-cutting decision (HBF's grandfather now three years gone) for hours as I [the shortest] hauled crap.

Had serious deja vu when I realized much of the Stuff I was hauling had been previously wet and NOT rescued...didn't I just see that movie on a bigger screen with a happier ending last week?!? Moldy nasty wetted-basement smell didn't help matters a bit nor did clonking the top of my head a good one on a joist.

The moving company was small and local and friendly*...but the "biggest truck we have" was still not large enough and their Estimator must've been on some serious drugs the day he came by since he thought the entire house could be packed and loaded by noon then driven to The Hinterlands that same day. It turned into packing from 9 to 3:30 followed by driving up to NY the following day.

It also turned into some Shocked and Startled Words when I discovered just how much Stuff the movers planned to leave behind. MIL managed to schedule a doctor's appointment during the main part of the packing which left me to sort out the resultant mess. Color me thrilled.

The Following Day included pouring rain in The Hinterlands so the three-man moving team was Not Happy. Therefore our two-car garage is now packed to within a few feet of the ceiling...I have visions of a summer-long Sokoban game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sokoban_PC_game_01.png

I'd take a picture but I haven't unearthed my camera from the debris pile that became my luggage. The SUV was packed to blivot http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blivot

tightness and I'm not down to the layer containing my overnight bag yet.

All the mammalian Tribal/Pack issues surrounding adding yet another human to the household (we're now seven just like those dwarves) are best left unmentioned.

What I will mention though is a great little read that kept me amused while I was living through Moving Hell: Hotel Babylon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNPG78/sr=1-1/qid=1152918721/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6959246-4157406?ie=UTF8&s=books

I was SO-o-o glad my Best Friend From High School M sent it! Books were my first (and best) drug of choice.

When I got back the Mason-Dixon Knitting book was waiting for me on my computer chair and it's just fabbo too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307236056/sr=1-1/qid=1152918832/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6959246-4157406?ie=UTF8&s=books

Surprisingly, I've managed a few more rows on my Kohala Bear and decided to make his face stockinette stitch instead of the garter specified in the pattern.

Other than that Our American Cousin ** is a lovely play.

*highly-tattooed Leader Guy let me bum a drag off his Marlboro menthol first thing in the morning.

** http://www.tonykids.com/theater/10/k10.th.playspace.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home