Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Six Inches

That's how much water was in our basement yesterday.

The water is gone now, thanks to a private landscaper working in tandem with the fire department and our own usually good drainage system. We are trying to be grateful that we kept power and plumbing throughout. No HOT water till the furnace has been inspected which seems minor in comparison to much of the neighborhood.

We realize that we aren't as bad off as many, some even on our own
road, but that doesn't make the incredible loss any less devastating.
The basement was our Home For Wayward And Orphaned Computers and the death toll is high:

Three Unix machines
At least 4 TRS-80s including a Model 4 in pristine condition still in the boxes
An Exidy behemoth of metal
A TRS-80 16B
A Commodore PET we got at a real steal of a price
At least one OSI Challenger
An OSI C1P (that one
really hurts)
At least two Macintosh 512Ks
Several old IBM PCs and ATs
The software and manuals for all of the above.

We know it's "just stuff" but it still hurts, it really does. Those machines represent years of watching EBay; they don't come along just every day.

The Christmas Stuff was mostly wasted too; that's just as strong but completely different a pain.

I may not be blogging much for the next few days; I trust you'll understand. Here's some images:



1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan29 said...

OMG....I am so sorry! You are in my prayers.

Also, thank you for the nice note you left me! You can have Ranger...I'll take Morelli, even if he does sound like a total pig. I'm only on book 4...perhaps he will redeem himself soon. I can't tell you how much I love these books!

Again, you're in my thoughts.
-Matt

July 04, 2006 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home