Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Unfolding

The best part about things working out at the office is being out of "crisis mode."





The second best part is not having to move away from the new perennial garden just when it's starting to bloom.










Now if only my Asian lilies would take the hint...







Yes, I know it seems silly to some, but I like it up here in The Hinterlands. Part of why I tossed my hat into the ring for the promotion in the first place was because I enjoy living on a retired apple orchard bordered by running water that I know has been deeded as farmland since the late 1700s. A local dairy family is in the middle of our road, the one at the far end raises chickens and there's an organic farmer in between who sells fantastic granola all over the county. If they blow the tits off the world tomorrow in the form of a big EMP or mining the Strait of Hormuz we'll still do okay...the crossroads with the store, church and restaurant is only a mile and a half around the corner. It's reassuring to live on land that's supported humans for so long; makes me not even mind that the oldest grave in our cemetery is only about fifteen feet from the kitchen door.



Now that we know we're staying, Eldest and I broke out the jigsaw puzzles again...nothing says "gonna be around for a while" like bits of cardboard strewn all over two tables:







We're going to try a vegetable garden next year also--that should be an adventure. I haven't grown anything to eat in just years. I'm also happy to be able to go ahead and order the (cheap from a new-to-me-company) bulbs with which I'd been so smitten right before it looked like the promotion was going to the Other Candidate.

"Settled" is good.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your promotion! ...loved all the flower photos.

Best wishes for a long and happy life in the hinterlands.

July 23, 2007 3:47 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Thanks!

Glad you got to share the flowers too--cut flowers should be seen by as many as possible since they're so ephemeral. I left all three of those bouquets around the lab for the staff who had to work this past weekend...and took the one from the house to a party on Saturday after filling it out with some black-eyed susans (from the ditch don't tell.)

July 23, 2007 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home