Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Swatching Around

I wanted to see how the Easter Egg Yarn would knit up so I played a bit:




While noodling around I was having a hard time with the "what" because I have only 100 yards each of both colors. So I thought I'd see what adding undyed yarn would be like.



Noticed right away that the gauge changed a LOT which made me realize that I had to decide up-front whether to go with traditional two-color stranded or one of the two-color slip-stitch variants. Went back to the "softer" (also much easier in back-and-forth) stitch patterns but still couldn't focus on an item. Kept thinking of mittens since they don't take much yarn.

Because of the "I hate making two alike" thing I tried to ignore that thought. Played around longer and contemplated "baby clothes" which is how that leftmost stitch pattern came about--isn't it adorable (if out of focus) ?



Yeah, but baby clothes shouldn't ever be made of feltable wool if it can be helped and I already have a Toddler Surprise Jacket (different yarn) in the queue. Also I really wanted to use the two colors of Easter Egg Yarn together in some way; I never get to play with complementary colors except at Christmas.

I also noticed that my previous swatch had been heavy on the blues and that I hadn't cared at all for the seed-stitch version of the oranges. So I ripped the whole thing out and started over:




This was more interesting to me. I liked how the orange looked but realized the fabric was far too bold. On the other hand the flecks of orange and white on a blue background (I had been thinking of water lilies or lotuses) weren't quite enough...and that whole "mittens" concept kept banging around my brain like an unknotted balloon.

So I finally decided on these.

I'm hoping they don't suck.


Post Scriptum: As far as the camera goes, it appears to be erasing the oldest images off the memory card in favor of whatever new ones I'm adding. I can live with that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

I have to say, I have a strong natural (or maybe just deeply ingrained) prejudice against orange, but those swatches look quite nice. It'll be interesting to see how it all knits up.

April 15, 2007 11:10 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

I agree!

I like orange as a color but usually HATE it in clothing, even small accessories, so this is a big step on my end too.

April 16, 2007 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the addition of the third color, and those mittens look like fun. Who says they have to exactly match?

Mostly I wanted to say I'm happy to see photos again :-)

April 16, 2007 9:27 AM  
Blogger SamD said...

I _have_ been pretty text-heavy lately.

April 16, 2007 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home