Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Politics Again

The more I hear about Ford the better I like him even though I was too young to pay much attention when he was President. Even G.W. Bush went on about how decent he was; I kept saying “unlike you” to the television set.



The Saddam Hussein execution…oh my.

I love cellphone video because it makes ALL of us photojournalists and will bring real truth to the Fourth Estate. In this case it proves that the government we installed in Iraq includes a some vengeful wretches. I personally don't think any governing body ought to be allowed to take human life but if the regime IS going to do the execution thing at least give the event as much dignity and civility as can be mustered and don't reduce it to the "string-em-up" mentality of the Old West. That murdering torturing crazyassed dictator ended up inadvertently dying well and will no doubt become a martyr to enough people to make the problems over there even worse...

...and it all happened on a US military base, which was such shocking news to me last night that I snorted tea up my nose and nearly got my WoW character killed. Shocking enough that I wanted to see it in print and have: “The execution took place at the 5th Division intelligence office in Qadhimiya, Northern Baghdad” is easily found all over the web. Nevermind that the recent press release by the US military avoids that fact in favor of mentioning that transport "in the past had been to the courthouse" which is a bit of very careful spin.

Speaking of the US military..."surge and accelerate" toward WHAT?!? You know there's got to be some sort of endpoint or objective to give the troops but unless our President is talking occupation of a level greater than the stormtroopers in any of the Star Wars movies, there ain't gonna be a free and peaceful Iraq. Whether we like it or not we created a civil war in that country which is going to eventually run its course with or without us...and I vote loudly for without.

Olbermann's monologue on sending more troops last night was so good I'm taping it to the inside of my office door....right on top of the other Olbermann monologue transcript already there.

2 Comments:

Blogger SamD said...

I could probably sound a lot smarter by NOT admitting I haven't read Foucault but I will, 'specially since he's shown up in other comments lately.

The same Foucault as the pendulum?

January 04, 2007 6:49 AM  
Blogger Dharma said...

I easily confess to having read absolutely no Foucault. Because I avoid news often and frequently, I had NO idea the execution took place on a US military base. Words are failing me. Horribly so.

January 05, 2007 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home