Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Cooking Crockery

Did I tell you that my old crockpot died right around Thanksgiving?

Yup, Grandmom (HBF's paternal grandmother for whom I did hospice in 2002) had given us an old rectangular slow cooker when we moved up here that I didn't use right away but then grew to just love...and that looked exactly like all the ones people at the office brought in full of Good Stuff for pitch-ins. It was the kind with a fairly flimsy metal pot that sat on its own freestanding heating element and if I ever find a decent picture I'll hyperlink it here.

Cooked in the damned thing all the time and pretended not to notice when the non-stick coating started wearing away and pretended not to notice when the heating element got wonky, but once the cover cracked in not just one small place but two big ones I couldn't ignore that any longer and finally decided I had to get a new one. Mourned and whined far out of proportion to the loss, too, since it was Grandmom's crock pot...which was why I didn't rush right online and get a replacement.

HBF, overhearing all this, quietly ordered me not just a replacement crock pot but ">THIS replacement crock pot.

I wouldn't have gotten anything nearly that fancy so I'm glad he took care of it, y'know?

I've also decided my hotshot new crock pot is far more aristocratic than I am now that I've read through the companion Slow Cooker Cookbook. The first recipe is "Country Pate with Cranberries and Pistachios"...as if I could get ANYone to eat that! Next is "Savory Salmon and Chevre Cheesecake" which sounds gawdawful on multiple levels and uses the crock pot only as a steam bath (as do many of the recipes) since the second paragraph (after the long one that starts with "in the Cuisinart Food Processor....") opens with "Coat a 7" Springform pan...."

I think I've inadvertently obtained the Bentley of the crock pot world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought my son a fancy one from amazon.com when he moved into his new apartment. He called when he received it and said he needed to attend culinary arts school to read the cookbook. I thought he was kidding...I guess not. :)

December 29, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

It's true! I had to google "Herbs de Provence" to remember whatinthehell was in the mix.

January 03, 2007 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home