Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Limited Expression

Since Sunday I've been unable to upload photos to this blog on either my home computer or my work computer. The process seems to work just fine but when I click the magic "done" button the html code isn't there. Yeah, I spent a half a morning reading every bit of the help section that was even remotely relevant. Then I finally emailed the Blogger people and received an auto-response suggesting that I go read all the stuff I'd just read because that would most likely answer my problem and that I should reply only if I couldn't solve my problem with that very helpful information. I sent them a crisp reply telling them that I wouldn't have been reduced to writing them at all if I had found the information I needed in their FAQ and haven't heard back since.

Which is fine; the service is free.

Usually this is the sort of thing that would drive me crazy and in fact it DID annoy hell out of me all day Monday and most of Tuesday. After all, I started this whole blog experience so I could post pictures of my knitting to share with other fiber-crazed people and it doesn't work nearly as well if there are no pictures, right? Right. Also I could tell that OTHER Blogger subscribers could upload just fine which meant that there was something wrong with Just MY Account.

So I thought about all sorts of options like finding better ways to harass the Blogger support staff, creating a whole new blog or even switching to another blog-hosting service.

Then I had one of those lightbulb moments: maybe this is just the Universe's way of trying to tell me not to take up yet another new hobby.

I played with that thought for a while and realized it had a lot of merit. For no more readers than I have I was spending a LOT of mental and physical energy on photodocumentation...so much so that it was actually cutting into the knitting time which was pretty senseless since that was the reason to blog in the first place. I had even had a few "time to make the donuts"* moments about getting pictures onto the website and started worrying about things like good lighting and focus depth. All of which is well and good but in a life so fully packed it oozes do I really need to add One More Thing?

Of course I thought "yes" otherwise you wouldn't have been getting organic and inorganic photo-shoots. Fortunately the driving forces of nature knew better. For now I'll ride the wave and see how it goes. Sure I'll check every so often (like probably once a damned day if not more; I'm sorta obsessive that way) to see if I somehow magically can upload pikkies again, but I'm not going to stress if I can't.

It's not like I won't have plenty to say anyhow.

*http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/spring_04/adv382j/cristin44/donuts.html

1 Comments:

Blogger FiberQat said...

I first try Blogger to upload but if it's being ornery, I load my pictures in Photobucket and paste the tag in my html. Fewer grey hairs and more time to make donuts.

September 21, 2006 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home