Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday Miscellany

Life's been entirely too hard for entirely too long lately. According to those stress quizzes, I should already have a major illness or accident, if that gives you perspective. Therefore today you get whatever random bits of non-wisdom that are left at the edges of my psyche.


FAVORITE FLAGS:
I've always liked flags. I used to study the color plates in our World Book when I was a kid and now I have the world map with all the flags at the bottom on a prominent wall in my office. My very favorite is the flag of Lebanon because it has a TREE. My second favorite flag has always been that of Brazil because it has a globe with stars; funny how I married Brazilian. The Canadian flag is a close third to Brazil because that maple leaf is almost as good a symbol as the entire tree but it's so very hard to draw (as I learned when I was about seven.) Runner-up is Jamaica for visual aesthetics alone--I like the colors and the bold "X" design.


My review of Fellini's Satyricon: It wasn't in chronological order, there were a lot of dead people in it and they STOLE the hermaphrodite!


I can't stand to drink hot beverages.


The first "rock concert" to which I ever went was John Denver. Don't shoot me: I was seven. The first one I chose was Billy Joel ten years later. Followed by Chicago, Marillion/Rush, Pink Floyd twice, Roger Waters and Petty/Dylan. Arlo Guthrie too, but that was a much smaller venue.


I've met the Dalai Lama. God Incarnate had very warm hands.


FAVORITE POEM:

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;


wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
--the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis


--e.e. cummings


One of my biggest peeves is that women's garments almost never have pockets. Howinthehell can you keep from having to carry a purse without decent pockets?!?


Windex takes semen stains out of sheets. Fast.


You can make piecrust in a food processor but you really don't wish to do so. Comes out tough.


Goya guava nectar mixed 50/50 with club soda is delightful but you have to drink it before it settles.


When I was eleven I literally wore out my first set of Lord of the Rings paperbacks.


You know that game where you take a word like "Chevrolet" and try to see how many other words you can make from it? I'll kick your ass. Unless you're my mother, that is.


"White Chocolate" is neither.


A big part of why I like Tucker Carlson is because he consistently uses "different FROM."


I love the smell of a new box of crayons.


Happy weekend, everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

I've always loved South Carolina's state flag. Even though there are a lot of negatives to my native state, we've got a lovely flag. And it's got a tree!

My first concert was the Bee-Gees when I was 9.

September 16, 2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

Oh yes I agree, South Carolina's flag is a very pretty thing.

One of my friends in seventh grade was _seriously_ into the Bee Gees and I actually liked "Love You Inside and Out" well enough to
have bought the 45...remember _those_?

Hugs,

September 16, 2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home