Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Random Odds and Ends

Every time it has rained this week I've been happy all over again that I got my bulbs in the ground last Saturday.


Robert Heinlein often postulated a dystopia in which the United States became a fundamentalist Christian theocracy. For the past few years I'd been very worried he was going to be correct after all. Now that the election hubbub is settling down I can relax because I think we've managed to dodge that bullet for a nice long while.


Speaking of the election, I'm quite pleased to have a female Speaker but I would've preferred Murtha to be the majority leader in the House.


Middle Duckling had vicious stomach flu in the wee small hours of the morning. I had forgotten how little fun sleep deprivation and explosive body fluids can be.


Monday morning I put MIL on the bus that would take her to the airport so she could visit her sister for a couple weeks. When I got home from work that night I discovered the Entire Rest of the Family had met and voted her off the island completely. That warm breeze you felt Monday evening was my huge sigh of relief...and the cool draft you felt yesterday morning was my informing her of same.


Learned today that my Honorary Niece will be having a baby girl this March--I'm so excited over the prospect of a teeny weeny little one that I'm considering flying out to see them.


Corporate America looks to be skipping over Thanksgiving entirely this year in favor of Christmas...and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Thanksgiving is the holiday that everyone spends with the less-favored relatives so as to have the Good Relatives around at Christmastime which means everyone starts off grumpy and gets worse with mass quantities of food and drink. I'm much relieved we're NOT having anyone around our table except the kids and BIL this year.


The Oil Tank Issue at our other house may be a thing of the past.


One of my kitchen standbys is Pantry Pasta:
Cook up a box of sauce-catching pasta while sauteing a diced onion in olive oil. Drain the pasta, dump it and the onion into a big bowl (or the pasta cooking pot) then add a can of "petite diced" tomatoes, two cans of white meat chicken, an undiluted can of Campbell's Cream of Something soup (used asparagus tonight; celery and mushroom are both good too) and a jar of pimentos and/or diced mild green chiles. Toss well and then add a dollop or two of sour cream till the texture suits--this also cools down the dish to a kid-friendly temperature. If I didn't have Ducklings who would protest, I'd saute mushrooms with garlic after the onions were done and add those too.


The only Christmas knitting I'm doing this year has been done since before Halloween. Tee fucking hee.


I wouldn't mind owning one of those tacky quarter-fed vibrating beds.


Whatever happened to Bananas in Pajamas?

1 Comments:

Blogger SamD said...

The Handmaiden's Tale was what got me interested in Margaret Atwood in the first place...been a _long_ time since I've read it though.

I was _really_ worried about this election after having been burned so badly in 04...some of my faith in humanity has been restored since.

November 17, 2006 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home