Blogsam and Jetsam

Flotsam is the part of the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on the water. Jetsam is cargo or parts of a ship that are deliberately thrown overboard, as to lighten the ship in an emergency, and that subsequently either sinks or is washed ashore. This is my personal blog version of the above. Loot freely.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hinterlands, Upstate NY

I'm annoyed that the world is going crazier faster than it used to be. But it's interesting to watch.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hedgemaids




I completely adore the smell of this stuff. So much that I swiped some from a random curb yesterday to put in my own garden.



Ground-ivy
(Gill-over-the-ground, Hedgemaids)

Glechoma hederacea
• Family: Mint (Lamiaceae)
• Habitat: lawns, grassy areas, disturbed sites
• Height: 6-18 inches• Flower size: 1/2 inch long
• Flower color: purple
• Flowering time: April to July
• Origin: Europe


(I'm so pleased I figured out how to add photos! Perhaps I will evolve past Blog Stone Age with time...)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i know what that is called ..i have it all thru my garden.. runs rampant but doesn't choke other plants like some that crawl over the ground :)

p.s. this is martina/seagrrlz

June 09, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger SamD said...

I had read that stuff was also called "Creeping Charley" but wasn't sure in which region--thanks for filling me in! To me, "Creeping Charlie" is a vine-y nearly indestructible houseplant that propagates easily from clippings, comes in both green and purple and also goes by the name "Wandering Jew."

Sam

June 12, 2006 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home